SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270582 - 09/04/09 11:08 AM My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Greetings and flatulations, er felicitations.

Here's something I did last week to try and make up for the exceptionally crappy summer I had. Helped a bit, I think...

Wayfaring Stranger was done on my PSR 3K using a style called AcousticRock which I tweaked a bit. The harmonies were done using the onboard VH type StdDuet (again , tweaked a bit). I also dug out the RBI (Real-Blown-Into) sax for this one, and the whole thing was multi-tracked on an aging PC. I hope you have the time for a listen.
http://www.4shared.com/file/127763211/a97432ef/Wayfaring_Stranger.html

Thanks for listening (or not)
Dan

P.S. It's a little lengthy at 5:35 min. Just a little warning...

P.S.S. Feel free to shred it if you like. It's far from perfect. Oh yeah, burned to CD it makes a fabulous coaster or shiny thing.

#270583 - 09/04/09 12:15 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Loved it - and the Bluesy mood the minor creates. The 3K, the singing, the harmonizer, the sax, the mix...loved it all.

I didn't hear any sharpulations or flatulations.

Eddie

#270584 - 09/04/09 05:11 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
Dnj Offline

Dan excellent!!! nice groove I really enjoyed listening..it had a
"Sound of Silence" flavor to it.....very nice vocals also...the Yamaha 3k still impresses, & doesn't weigh a ton ...good music, great song, no need for excuses..Bravo!

Thanx for sharing

#270585 - 09/04/09 11:51 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
That sounded very good. Good job. Yes, the 3000 came off well as well as your vocals and sax.

What is the RBI (Real-Blown-Into) sax? I googled it and nothing turned up. I have an idea what it is but it must be called something else.

Scott

#270586 - 09/05/09 07:07 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Dan - Great job! It really makes me jealous and sorry I sold off my 3K. Excellent harmonies and fantastic sax work. You have my confabulations!

#270587 - 09/05/09 07:10 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
big741.1 Offline

Hello SZ'ers,

Thanks for having a listen and a big thanks to those who left a comment. Your input is (usually ) valued and always appreciated.

Eddie, Dnj, and Scott: I'm happy you enjoyed it. I still like my 3K for what I need it for. Doesn't really matter if I like it or not - it's all I can afford anyway. ;D

Scott: An RBI sax is my little joke (and not very a very good one, apparently). Yamaha has SA voices, Korg has DNC(?), etc. I have none of those, but I do own a beautiful Selmer Mark VI tenor sax circa 1972. It was my main axe and best friend for many years. So I refer to as an RBI (real-blown-into) sax. Shiny brass bits and all!

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#270588 - 09/05/09 07:14 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
big741.1 Offline

Hi cassp,

Sorry I missed your comment while I was trying to find my password (different 'puter this morning). I'm pleased that you liked it. I've never been confabulated before - looking forward to a new experience. ;D

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#270589 - 09/05/09 09:50 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Dan ... that's really nice....
thnx for sharing,
t.

#270590 - 09/05/09 10:04 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
Beakybird Offline

It sounds very good. Good instrumentation. Liked the organ and sax.

It would be nice to get some variation in that strum.

The lyrics are very strong.

I used the same style in my song, Please Say Yes (www.myspace.com/larrylevin). My song is much faster paced.

Thanks for sharing this.

Beakybird

#270591 - 09/05/09 10:10 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by big741.1:
Hi cassp,

Sorry I missed your comment while I was trying to find my password (different 'puter this morning). I'm pleased that you liked it. I've never been confabulated before - looking forward to a new experience. ;D

Thanks for listening,
Dan

Dan, you know you can go to the "Profile" link and then to "Forgot Password" if you ever need to have your password resent to you. Also you can change that startup password in your "Profile" to something you can remember.

#270592 - 09/05/09 10:13 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Dan,

Superb stuff...really shows what can be done on the 3K with some tweaking.

Lovely sax work as well.

Ian

#270593 - 09/05/09 11:59 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by big741.1:

Scott: An RBI sax is my little joke (and not very a very good one, apparently). Yamaha has SA voices, Korg has DNC(?), etc. I have none of those, but I do own a beautiful Selmer Mark VI tenor sax circa 1972. It was my main axe and best friend for many years. So I refer to as an RBI (real-blown-into) sax. Shiny brass bits and all!

Thanks for listening,
Dan

Oh, haha. I thought it sounded like a real sax at first. Then I read your comments. I then was thinking it was one of those electric sax thingys which I think are called an EMI, electronic musical instrument. I know they have them with trumpet and sax fingering.

#270594 - 09/05/09 02:18 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
this is just plain good, better and best. I love it.
thanks for sharing this fine talent you have.
Bebop

#270595 - 09/05/09 06:09 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dan has always been one of my heroes. He took the time to master the keyboard's vocal harmony, then spent lots of time explaining exactly how he made it all work. He posted the information at the PSR Tutorial forum where a huge number of members have benefited from his expertise and generosity.

Thanks Dan,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#270596 - 09/06/09 07:12 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
big741.1 Offline

Hello once again, frequenters of the Synth Zone BBS.

As always, thank you for taking the time to have a listen, and thank you to those who left a comment. Music should be shared (or sold if you gig or write), enjoyed and discussed (or sometimes maybe just cussed ).

I must say that I'm a bit overwhelmed at the number of listens and replies - my sense of whelm is easily pushed over the top now-a-days. Did I mention I had an exceptionally crappy summer?

Hi Tony. I'm pleased that you liked it. Thanks very much.

Hello Beakybird (or do you prefer Larry?). I agree with you about the strumming. I tried a few multi-pads to try and vary it somewhat, but I couldn't really find what I was looking for. Ideally, I should have waded through my style collection and borrowed another guitar part, but apathy (laziness?) got the better of me, I'm afraid. I also tried to shake it up a bit with the some sus 4's and 2's, but ultimately decided that I'd use them sparingly, and hope that the guitars didn't come off as monotonous. Only partially successful with that, methinks. I agree, the lyrics are strong - that's partially what attracted me to this song. That and the way it weaves back and forth between major and minor keys. This song is actually public domain, and according to Wikipedia, can trace its roots back to 1800's Appalachia. I left a few verses out in the name of brevity (and it's still 5:35...). Nice job on your tune, BTW. I've been following your compositions here on SZ - keep on writin'!

Thanks for the tip, Nigel. I suppose that's what I get for posting before I've had my second cup of coffee. I thought my password was something I could remember... Oh yeah - thanks also for all of your hard work in keeping the Synth Zone up and running. I hardly ever post, but I do come here almost every day.

Hi Ian. Thanks a lot. So far, I haven't got the bug for new gear (fingers crossed). My 3K works really well in my little studio for what I need it for. I usually use it to make backing tracks and to record harmony. I could sing my own harmony, but I like to use the VH in keeping with the arranger theme, as I often put my material up on other forums.

Hi Scott. The instrument you're thinking of is an EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument). They're made by Akai. I actually do have a Yamaha WX7 MIDI wind controller, but I really don't have any newer gear that it works well with (it works best with patches that respond to breath control). Too bad, because as a sax player, it's a fun instrument to play.

Thanks Bebop. I'm not sure about best, but on a personal note, this is probably one of my better recordings. I've been trying to successfully record the sax for a few years, experimenting with mics, reverb, compressors, etc. It's not quite there yet, but this is the closest I've come to the sound I'm looking for. It's one of those sounds which you don't know what you want until you've got it.

Geez Gary, you've got me blushing! High praise indeed coming from one of the most helpful and knowledgeable PSR players I know of. Thanks - you're no slouch yourself, you know.

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#270597 - 09/06/09 08:25 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
Beakybird Offline

I play guitar myself, but if I didn't, and I was serious about recording, I might look into some guitar strum software such as
http://www.applied-acoustics.com/strumacoustic/overview/

or
http://www.musiclab.com/products/rg2_info.htm

This is cool stuff, because once you get the strum pattern you want, you can choose any guitar on your keyboard or from software samples made up of many gigabytes.

I think your song has a great feel to it, and lyrically it carries a lot of weight. However, some variation on the guitar strum would really spice things up.

Beakybird

#270598 - 09/06/09 05:42 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
big741.1 Offline

Hi Beakybird,

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out. To be honest, I'm not all that serious about my music. I'm a stay in the basement musician nowadays (this wasn't always the case). I do music only as a hobby now, and not even all that regularly.

Quote:

I think your song has a great feel to it, and lyrically it carries a lot of weight.

I get the feeling from this sentence that perhaps you think I wrote this song? I wish it was so, but I'm not that talented, I'm afraid. I had a hard enough time playing it, let alone writing it. This is an old American folk song, and has been covered by dozens of artists, the most recent being me. I'm sorry if I somehow mislead...

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#270599 - 09/06/09 07:42 PM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Dan, may I say there have been some excellent critiques and replies in this thread so far, so all I have left to say is - good job - nice feel and mood!

But - watch your Pitch - please!

I do understand the style you were going for in this song, a melancholy, laid back style, but don't be fooled, it still takes a certain Energy and Intensity to sustain this kind of Vocal and keep it interesting and in tune. You will hear what I'm talking about particularly in your first line "I am a Poor wayfaring stranger" and a little later in "this world of War (?)" and "in that Bright Land" and the notes you bend vocally throughout the song.

Vocals are my main focus generally speaking, so I notice this sort of thing straight away.

...and yeah - great Sax work!

P.S. I see you're ahead of your time (in the MP3 Info, you put the year of this track at 2209... !)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#270600 - 09/07/09 06:14 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
big741.1 Offline

Hello hellboy44.

Hey! Someone finally noticed! Thanks! As a sax player, I'm reasonably aware of intonation. You have to be with a horn - because of physics, you must adjust practically every note as you play it to stay in tune.
I know this probably comes off as an excuse,(I hate excuses - an excuse is a reason that doesn't cut it) but I've been trying to sing material a little outside my comfort range. I was especially uncomfortable bending notes in the middle of a lyric (phrase) as I know this can go south quite easily. It's especially easy to hit the note slightly flat, which is what you heard, I think. On the other hand, I really don't like to use pitch correction or other tricks, so I do my best at the time. One thing I should have done (which I often do), is go back and redo the first verse after doing the rest, and then pick the best take. This works for me as by that time I'm more relaxed and warmed up. And of course there's always practice, practice, practice!

If you listen close to the horn solo, you'll also hear a few out-o-tune notes; particularly the F (concert F, G on the horn). Again, it comes from not playing consistently (flabby diaphragm and other necessary muscles).

Thanks for listening (and noticing),
Dan

#270601 - 09/07/09 08:20 AM Re: My "Here's a song by me" thread,,,
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
No problem Dan, and thank you for taking my notes as they were intended - constructively.

Ya know, I used to hate the very IDEA of Pitch Correction, but really, these days, it's par for the course, and not necessarily for the reasons you might expect - i.e. to fix the vocals of someone who can't sing.

Pitch correction is employed routinely for many reasons (as an effect, to evoke a mood or even to do "lazy backing vocals" - I've heard it!) but I think a fundamental and constant reason these days - PARTICULARLY with some styles of contemporary music and very often with Home recordings - is because there can be very little live instrumentation used these days (samples are everywhere - we all play them, even if it's just using patches on our Arrangers/Workstations) and they are of course in PERFECT pitch. Seeing as you (and I, and MANY others) use almost nothing but samples & patches at times, you should consider this as a valid reason to use PC and "level the Playing field" between your vocals and the rest of your backing tracks.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online